7 Ways to Stay Inspired in Tough Times
It seems everybody is struggling right now. It’s hard be positive on good days, but you use the 7 ways to stay inspired in tough times.
It seems everybody is struggling right now. Before all hell broke loose in the United States, people were already dealing with significant challenges. The current chaos and uncertainly at present, stress, and fear are off the charts.
According to the American Psychological Society, more than 8 in 10 Americans (83%) say our nation’s future is a significant source of stress.
Most life events are beyond our control, but now more than ever, we need to find ways to destress. Always reading, hearing, or talking about the fear makes us more fearful. It doesn’t change anything but to make us feel scared.
There are seven simple ways you can unplug and destress. You can use these tips to get inspired and motivated. Allow them to give you some hope for the future.
- Turn off the news. Gone are the days when the news was simply reported. Now, it is debated and argued to death. Opinions are crammed down our throats. There seems to be nothing left to ponder. Instead, we choose up sides and let the fighting begin. Stay informed, but turn off the constant negative news.
- Skip most social media. As with news, most social media has become a place to debate and tear each other down. There are still wonderful people with great messages on social media, but you need to be mindful and careful about what you follow and where your scrolling stops. Unfriend “friends” if you have too much content coming at you in your feed. They will get over it. The most important thing is your peace of mind.
- Play games. The other night, my son and his wife came over, and we played a fun card game called “99.” It is easy and fast-paced. They were telling me they had a game night the weekend before with friends playing Clue. They often play Monopoly. There are endless games you can choose for an afternoon or evening of camaraderie, light competition, and laughs.
- Get around some children. Recently, I spent some time with a five-year-old and we told jokes. It was fun pulling out those jokes from our childhood and watching this little girl realize the joke’s meaning and then laugh along with us. Children are a constant source of entertainment, wonder, and creativity. If you want to get out of a bad mood in a hurry, get around some kids.
- Spend time with animals. I took a bike ride the other day and marveled at the number of people walking their dogs or playing with them at the dog park. Yesterday morning, my son sent me a video of him playing catch with his dog. It is nearly impossible not to be happy watching or interacting with pets.
- Read inspiring or motivational books. Reading seems to be a bit of a dying art. Most people will not take the time to read an entire book, in favor of quick social media posts or online articles. Get lost in a book! A mystery can get the creative juices flowing and keep your mind active. Historical novels transport us back into time. The bible or spiritual books keep you grounded and hopeful. You can even read one of my books! Check them out HERE.
- Listen to Music. When was the last time you listened to music that made you feel alive? Often, a few notes can bring tears to our eyes. Some songs make us want to dance in the middle of the grocery store. Put on some music and allow it to make you feel – whatever it is you want to feel.
Stay Inspired in Tough Times!
Take control of your mindset. Stop allowing the media (news or social) to take your thoughts captive. It’s up to you to decide what you think about. Use the tips above to move from fear to hope.
Warriors in Hope®
Grief, addiction, fear, trauma, and pain are real, but they don’t have to own you! Navigating everything that comes with the coping of our Beasts or a loved one’s can be unbearable at times.
That’s why we developed Warriors in Hope with powerful resources to support a wide variety of individuals with a very diverse set of circumstances. Finally, the resources and a safe place where you can begin the discovery of hope and healing. (Many resources are free to you).
Start your transformational journey to freedom - become a Warrior in Hope!